Wednesday, August 28, 2024

HEAT 2 by Michael Mann and Meg Gardiner

This crime thriller is a sequel to the 1995 movie Heat, which I think I saw but do not remember at all.  No matter.  I loved this book anyway, and I think it stands just fine on its own, although at times the multiple timelines confused me.  Also, there are two groups of bad guys.  One group of bad guys, led by Neil McCauley, although they are really bad, sometimes do good things, but the other group of bad guys, led by Otis Wardell, are psychopathically bad to their core.  Then we have the good guys, primarily Detective Vincent Hanna, who is no saint himself.  He has a drug problem and doesn’t think twice about pushing a bad guy off a roof.  The two groups of bad guys cross paths at one point, resulting in your typical bloodbath.  Years later, although earlier in the book, Chris Shiherlis, who thinks of McCauley as a brother by another mother, lands in Paraguay, ready to start a whole new chapter in his life.  Shiherlis, rather than Detective Hanna, attains main-character status in this book, as he takes sides in a business war between competing Chinese families in Paraguay.  He eventually becomes involved in business activities that I never fully understood, but I do know these activities generally involved less overt violence than some of the heists he and McCauley pulled off.  Otis Wardell, on the other hand, keeps turning up like a bad penny, leaving tortured and bludgeoned bodies in his wake.  He is one scary, evil dude.  If gory stories make you queasy, skip this one, but personally I would rather read this kind of stuff than see it in living color on the screen. All that said, I still hope there’s a movie.

No comments: