Wednesday, August 14, 2024

IF I SURVIVE YOU by Jonathan Escoffery

For some reason I thought this book was a novel, and that misconception may have skewed my impression of it.  It is actually a collection of linked stories about Jamaican-heritage families in Miami, and the same family appears in almost all of the stories.  Also, I think the title is a bit of a double entendre, as it could mean “if I survive what you are doing to me” or “if I outlive you.”  Trelawney is the primary recurring character, who addresses himself or the reader, not sure which, as “you,” who may be the “you” in the title.  I’m just guessing here.  In any case, identity, particularly ethnic identity, is a big factor in Trelawney’s life, as he is confused by the fact that some people see him as white, most Americans think he is Black, and some people think he’s Latino, although he speaks no Spanish.  Speaking of language, one chapter/story is completely told in Jamaican patois, and an audiobook would be the way to go in this case, as trying to sound out the words in my head detracted from the storyline.  However, it’s only one chapter/story, and the rest is relatively easy to read, as far as the language is concerned.  The content is not so easy to read, as these characters endure all kinds of hardships at the hands of not only other Americans but also their own families, and sometimes they knowingly self-sabotage.  Anyway, back to the identity theme, here’s a snippet of a conversation on page 23 between Trelawney and a white warehouse co-worker:

“’What do you care?  You’re not Black.  You’re Jamaican,’ he [the co-worker] says.  ‘I have a Jamaican friend who explained the difference to me.’  You wish his friend could come explain the difference to you.”


No comments: