Wednesday, March 8, 2023

HORSE by Geraldine Brooks

It’s ironic that a book about a fast horse proceeds at a slow trot rather than a gallop.  It does gather speed in the home stretch but not enough.  Part of my problem is that I have zero interest in art and not much more in horses, although, granted, this novel has deeper themes at work as well.  Two timelines address the history of a real-life thoroughbred named Lexington who raced in the 1850s.  Jarret is the young slave whom the author conjures up as the only person whom Lexington really trusts.  In the modern-day story, Jess (a white woman) mistakes Theo (a black man) for a bike thief, but they eventually both become professionally interested in Lexington’s story and fall in love.  Racism figures largely in both timelines, and I have to admit that I was more drawn to Jess and Theo’s story, because I was so dreading that Jarret and Lexington’s would end tragically.  The nineteenth century timeline, however, is more seamless.  The 21st century story tries to account for the whereabouts and ownership transfers of several paintings.  I could not keep the paintings straight, much less their convoluted history.  There is actually a minor third timeline in the 1950s that follows an art curator, and I felt that the author was trying to connect too many dots.  Geraldine Brooks is a terrific writer, but this book does not rank high on my list of her novels.  Putting it down was too easy, and picking it back up was not something I particularly looked forward to.

No comments: