Wednesday, April 8, 2009

PEOPLE OF THE BOOK by Geraldine Brooks


People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks offered a respite from the dreary, depressing books I've been reading this winter. It has an unusual structure, which I happened to like. The main storyline is of a modern-day thirty-something single Australian woman, Hanna Heath, who "stabilizes" valuable old books. In this case, she travels to war-torn Sarajevo to work on the beautifully illustrated Sarajevo Haggadah, which dates from the 1400's. Her story alternates with chapters that go progressively farther back in time, each telling some piece of history associated with something Hanna found in the book, such as a butterfly wing or a wine stain. However, I found Hanna's story more captivating than anyone else's, especially that of the priest with a drinking problem and the rabbi with a gambling problem. I kept dozing off during the ancient history, only to perk back up when Hanna reappeared on the page. I found the text a little hard to follow at times, since each history chapter introduced a whole new set of characters. Plus, Hanna flits all over the planet, from Sarajevo to Vienna to Boston to London to Australia, so that the people in her life are a little hard to track also. One exception is her mother, a neurosurgeon who is still reeling from the fact that Hanna did not choose to study medicine and with whom Hanna has a very antagonistic relationship. Several discoveries, including the identity of Hanna's father, near the end of the novel provide a neat wrap-up and satisfying conclusion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Patti--I love reading your reviews, especially comaring notes on books I've also read. I liked this book for the opposite reasons as you: I thought Hannah's story was interesting throughout, until the rather contrived ending, and I really enjoyed the historical chain going back, back, back--it reminded me of "The Source" (did you ever read that?)

PattisPages said...

I have not read The Source, but I'll add it to my list. (I'm not a huge Michener fan. I hope that's the one you're talking about.) Thanks for commenting!