Wednesday, June 30, 2021

NIGHT BOAT TO TANGIER by Kevin Barry

Two washed-up Irish drug smugglers, Maurice and Charlie, are hanging out in a Spanish port’s seedy ferry terminal, hoping to catch up with Maurice’s long lost daughter, Dilly.  The book ends in the same place that it begins, but the pages in between tell us the long history between these two men, which has not always been amicable.  In fact, despite their having been partners in crime, their lives intersect unexpectedly a couple of times and accordion back and forth between betrayal and reconnection, depression and jubilation, and lucidity and hallucination.  This is definitely noir fiction, which I would normally love, but the structure, for me, is off-putting.  Without quotation marks, the dialog is hard to distinguish from descriptive prose, and I found it difficult at times to identify the speaker.  There is also a fair amount of what appears to be Irish slang, although even my kindle could not define every word.  On the plus side, I think the author does an exceptional job of creating a dark, desolate, and threatening mood, despite the fact that I could not always follow the action.  This is a challenging book to read and not one I can recommend, but it is relatively short and set in a darkly exotic part of the world.  Prior to reading this novel, it had never occurred to me that on a clear night one might be able to see Africa from Spain.  If only this book were just as easy to decipher.

No comments: