Wednesday, January 15, 2020

BENEDICTION by Kent Haruf

Although the dialog and language are just as good, I didn’t like this book as much as the first two in the series, Plainsong and Eventide.  Neither the characters nor the storyline quite lived up to my expectations.  That said, I still liked it, but I would have liked it better if the characters had been a little more…nuanced, maybe?  Dad Lewis (yes, everyone in town calls him “Dad”) is dying of cancer and has committed a few misdeeds that he cannot undo.  His gay son Frank has been out of touch with his parents for years, due to Dad’s disapproval.  Unless Dad’s wife Mary can find him, Frank won’t even know of his father’s passing.  The other unfortunate event in Dad’s life occurred when an employee embezzled some money, and Dad insisted that he and his family leave town.  The consequences of this event are so predictable that it wouldn’t even be a spoiler if I told you what they were.  The other main character in this book is the local pastor, Reverend Lyle, who, in stark contrast to Dad, is too liberal for this small, rural community.  His sermon about turning the other cheek infuriates most of his congregation, and then you can easily imagine what happens to him.  Before I talk myself into lowering my rating to three stars, let me just say that this novel needed a surprise or two to kickstart it into gear.

No comments: