Sunday, August 23, 2026
HOW I WON A NOBEL PRIZE by Julius Taranto
The Rubin Institute is a haven for researchers, scientists,
and professors with skeletons in their closets.
Helen, a very talented physicist whose specialty if superconductivity,
does not have a sketchy past, but her mentor/collaborator is now a persona non
grata as far as Cornell is concerned. In order to continue her research, she
and her husband, Hew, relocate to the island where the Institute is
located. Hew’s liberal political slant
makes this move really distasteful for him, and his and Helen’s marriage
becomes somewhat rocky. Helen suspects
him of having an affair with a woman who was raped by one of the Institute’s
residents, while she contemplates her own affair with her father’s favorite
author. I am not a physics person, and I
found that the narrative having to do with Helen’s work was way over my head,
but I learned something in the process.
I enjoyed the marital strife aspect of this book as well, since I could
definitely see both sides of their argument.
Hew thinks that Helen should be more appalled about the crimes that the
Institute’s residents have committed, whereas Helen contends that she really
cannot do anything about it. In any
case, the concept of banishing misbehaving intellectuals to an island where
they can continue to be productive without being policed or held accountable is
intriguing but also alarming.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment