Wednesday, July 24, 2013

KILLING WALL STREET by Sanjay Sanghoee


Cathy has an estranged husband and a married lover, who is powerful in more ways than one.  When she tries to end their relationship, he gets violent, and she gets even.  Since her financial situation is deteriorating by the minute, she goes on a rampage to take out a few of his corporate criminal cronies as well.  Meanwhile, FBI agent Michael Sands is trying to piece together the clues from these murders, knowing from an elevator video that the killer is an inept woman in a blonde wig and sunglasses.  Believable?  Maybe not, but I couldn't wait to find out how the author would wrap this up, and I wasn't disappointed.  I have to say that I don't completely approve of a comedy about a serial killer, but sometimes you just have to roll with it and not take things too seriously.  In fact, I rather enjoyed the chatty tone in which Cathy describes how she bumps off each of her victims.  She ultimately makes a name for herself in the social media as the Robin Hood killer, because her victims really are bad guys in the financial world, but her motives are pretty shaky, since she has no idea what dastardly deeds they're really up to.  Michael's investigation, on the other hand, is stymied, even after he's uncovered the link between the victims.  I wanted Cathy to get caught before she could do any more damage, but I never wanted her to have to pay for her crimes.  Is that bad?  She's engaged in a vendetta that's not really that personal, and she likens her situation to that of Thelma and Louise, where one crime mushrooms into a pile of dead bodies.  There are a few twists, one of which was so obvious I'm embarrassed that I didn't pick up on it sooner.  I hate to read a book where the ending feels like the author painted himself into a corner and then had to bluff his way out, but the ending here feels right, whether it was the author's plan from the start or not.

No comments: