Monday, May 7, 2012

THE PARROT'S PERCH by Karen Keilt


Catlin has just qualified for the Brazilian equestrian team for the 2016 Olympics in Rio and is about to marry Schuyler, the man of her dreams.  To cap this storybook existence, she and Schuyler both come from ridiculously wealthy families in Brazil.  However, Catlin and Schuyler each have a black sheep brother involved in the drug trade, who have the ability to turn paradise into a living hell in the blink of an eye.  The nightmare that ensues is gripping, and the author does a superb job of pointing up the corruption and violence that apparently usurp the Brazilian criminal justice system.  The irony is that because of their wealth, Catlin's family feels immune to the danger, while in reality their wealth makes them a target for extortion.  The title refers to a torture device, and I must say that the section in which the author describes its use is horrifically disturbing.  This book is a very fast read and would have been even faster if I had not been so distracted and annoyed by the myriad typos and the intrusion of apostrophes in plurals throughout the book.  The author is desperately in need of a good editor, so that her mistakes do not detract from the message she is trying to deliver. 

1 comment:

K. Keilt said...

Thanks for this review......As a first and self-published attempt at writing, I have received many wonderful reviews for my book The Parrot's Perch. The story is based on my own life-story, and while I struggled to write the book because it forced me to relive those events, the editing often escaped me so I apologize. I so appreciate you catching the list of 25 or so slight misspellings, and punctuation errors. Another friend has done the same for me, and we have already made the corrections int he current book available for sale. Thankfully, the story itself is so important in view of the current political environment in Brasil, as it prepares to host the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Summer Games. I have recently been interviewed and given presentations at Amnesty International, and we are taking action to let the Brasilian government know that the world is watching. But best of all, is that a Hollywood A-list movie is in the works and it will be released before the Olympic Games!! Thanks again, for your review, all the best, Karen Keilt