Wednesday, January 27, 2010

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS by J.K. Rowling


J. K Rowling has capped off her remarkable series with the most thrilling book yet, saving the best for last. Harry, Hermione, and Ron launch a quest, at Dumbledore's urging, to destroy the splintered pieces of Voldemort's soul, without any idea where to start. Frustration and bickering ensue, threatening their friendship, as well as the success of their mission. Dumbledore has left each of them an enigmatic gift that must provide some clue, but Harry has to take the heat from the other two for not having a plan. I think that this book, more than the others, is about the relationships of the characters, and that makes it so much more memorable. Harry really has no one to lean on anymore, except his army of loyal classmates. I must say that the heft of this book makes it somewhat daunting, but I found myself almost skimming it at times, because I couldn't turn the pages fast enough in my lust to find out what happened. At the same time, speculation about the ending gave me trepidation so that I had procrastinated about reading it. Needless to say, my fears were totally unfounded. After all, this is a kids' book. My only complaint is that there are many characters that I couldn't remember from the previous books. Still, this and the inscrutable plot intricacies don't detract from the overall experience that is the joy of reading this book. Don't let the kids have all the fun.

No comments: