Thursday, February 7, 2008

THE NOTEBOOK by Nicholas Sparks


The Notebook was my first Nicholas Sparks novel, and I wanted to read it before seeing the movie. It will probably be my last. The story was very sappy, and the writing was uninspired. If I'm in the mood for a quick, mindless read, I much prefer Janet Evanovich. The Notebook did have one redeeming feature, however, and that was the description of how Noah copes with his wife's dementia. Instead of burdening and frustrating her with the facts of a life she doesn't remember, he just spends time with her as a friend. On her good days, he reads to her a notebook that tells the story of how they got together but tells her that it happened to someone else. On especially good days, she realizes that it's about her and him. I don’t know if this approach really works with Alzheimer's patients, but it seemed reasonable to me.

No comments: