Thursday, January 17, 2008

THE VAMPIRE LESTAT by Anne Rice


It's been years since I read Interview With the Vampire, and I thought it was sort of a snoozer. The Vampire Lestat is a much better-paced story, and I found Lestat to be a flawed but likeable character. He's a bit of a rebel, constantly doing things he's been specifically advised not to do and suffering the inevitable but entertaining, at least from the reader's perspective, consequences. Anne Rice has developed an imaginary world of vampires that's very vivid without being horrific. As with most series, I think there's merit in not waiting too long between volumes, to preserve some continuity. My memory of the first book is basically nil, and, although it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the second, I was a little disappointed that I couldn't compare Lestat's and Louis's versions of what happened while they were together. Still, the vast majority of Lestat's story is pre-Louis. I yawned through a few parts that could have been whittled down, but now I'm looking forward to reading the third "Vampire Chronicle," The Queen of the Damned.

No comments: