Friday, December 28, 2007

EAT, PRAY, LOVE by Elizabeth Gilbert


I was originally put off by both the title and the premise of Elizabeth Gilbert's memoir Eat, Pray, Love, but she reeled me in long before the end of the Eat section. I was so enamored of this book that I taped her Oprah segment and attended her lecture at The Georgia Center for the Book. To say that she has a few fans is an understatement. My biggest difficulty in reading this book was in putting aside my envy and replacing it with admiration for her spunk. Eat, Pray, Love is way more than your standard tale of a spiritual journey; it offers a chance to be enriched by the experiences of someone who traveled where most of us will never go--emotionally, spiritually, or geographically. Gilbert knows how to tell a story, especially about the people she met and the wisdom they shared with her, and now her readers. You can't make this stuff up.

No comments: